Hi Ruby, I haved used QTOPO from time to time. They way I have always done it is to...
- Zoom to the desired area
- Click the "Click here to" button and select "Generate a Printable Map"
- For hiking, I normally choose the "Select a Standard Topographic Scale" and "1:25,000" options
- Click the "Next" button
- Enter the validation number and your email address and select PDF as the output format
- Click the "Generate Map" button
- Wait for the email with the download link
- Go to a local printer to have them printed alot more accurately
I find it alot easier to do all this on a computer rather then on a mobile/tablet. You can also download a map by map number or name - select "Download a standard map sheet" instead of "Generate a Printable Map" in step 2
The official address is: http://qtopo.dnrm.qld.gov.au/