Wilsons Peak Question

Hi all, I am planning to do Wilsons Peak next month and notice that it can be accessed from either Head Rd near Mt Supurbus [8km] or Carneys Creek Rd near the border gate [13km] and wondered if one option is better than the other. I would appreciate any advice, so if you have done either route, please comment.
john

Well, since I had no replies, I followed the recommended route from Carneys Creek today and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Since it was almost a 2 hour drive from my place, I thought I may as well take the longer route to make it worth while and glad I did.
john

1 Like

I did it years ago frmo the border gate but we followed the wrong fence. Made for a more exciting trip (including a short climb up a few metre cliff). We got back on course though and enjoyed it. I’ve never done the other route so couldn’t help you compare unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I just commented that it would be difficult to go wrong in this walk as all you have to do is follow the fence, I had no idea that there was more than one. At least you made it to the summit and there is no such thing as a bad walk in the bush in my opinion. I thought the first half an hour was pretty average but really enjoyed it once the track narrowed and got steep. A good cardio workout as there was very little break in the climb.

With enough skill you can get lost anywhere :slight_smile: We kind of wondered how we got it wrong when we got back to the car as well. But it made for a memorable walk. I wouldn’t change it.

I found this now having joined Aussie Bushwalking today We did Jirramen (Wilson’s Peak) yesterday from the Spring Creek Rd end . Having not done both I can’t compare, but it took us 5 hours including getting lost and stop for lunch. We followed the fence just as you do on the NSW side however there is a point where it reaches a steep rocky cliff which can’t be climbed/descended (well,I guess if you were a pro you could) and you can see a vague path on the left . We followed this and came to a second fence with a ribbon marker on it. We should have taken a right here and climbed a bit to come back around to the fence but since it wasn’t clear we went straight ahead and got ourselves into a bit of strife. Ended up using GPS to climb up and find the fence again - a bit more steep climbing and then a clear path emerges which takes you clockwise around the bottom of the peak to to find the cleft (clearly marked) to go to the top. Other than that, I think the two walks sound very similar . After all, it can be done as a straight through trip.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club, and thanks for your post, it seems like you had a fun walk. The hike from Carneys Creek Rd was very straightforward and easy to navigate. I think that if I parked at Spring Creek Rd, I would rather choose to walk up Mt Supurbus and Roberts, a favourite walk for me, particularly the section from Supurbus to Roberts.
Thanks again, I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

john