Wilsons Peak Question

Hi all, I am planning to do Wilsons Peak next month and notice that it can be accessed from either Head Rd near Mt Supurbus [8km] or Carneys Creek Rd near the border gate [13km] and wondered if one option is better than the other. I would appreciate any advice, so if you have done either route, please comment.
john

Well, since I had no replies, I followed the recommended route from Carneys Creek today and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Since it was almost a 2 hour drive from my place, I thought I may as well take the longer route to make it worth while and glad I did.
john

1 Like

I did it years ago frmo the border gate but we followed the wrong fence. Made for a more exciting trip (including a short climb up a few metre cliff). We got back on course though and enjoyed it. I’ve never done the other route so couldn’t help you compare unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I just commented that it would be difficult to go wrong in this walk as all you have to do is follow the fence, I had no idea that there was more than one. At least you made it to the summit and there is no such thing as a bad walk in the bush in my opinion. I thought the first half an hour was pretty average but really enjoyed it once the track narrowed and got steep. A good cardio workout as there was very little break in the climb.

With enough skill you can get lost anywhere :slight_smile: We kind of wondered how we got it wrong when we got back to the car as well. But it made for a memorable walk. I wouldn’t change it.

I found this now having joined Aussie Bushwalking today We did Jirramen (Wilson’s Peak) yesterday from the Spring Creek Rd end . Having not done both I can’t compare, but it took us 5 hours including getting lost and stop for lunch. We followed the fence just as you do on the NSW side however there is a point where it reaches a steep rocky cliff which can’t be climbed/descended (well,I guess if you were a pro you could) and you can see a vague path on the left . We followed this and came to a second fence with a ribbon marker on it. We should have taken a right here and climbed a bit to come back around to the fence but since it wasn’t clear we went straight ahead and got ourselves into a bit of strife. Ended up using GPS to climb up and find the fence again - a bit more steep climbing and then a clear path emerges which takes you clockwise around the bottom of the peak to to find the cleft (clearly marked) to go to the top. Other than that, I think the two walks sound very similar . After all, it can be done as a straight through trip.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club, and thanks for your post, it seems like you had a fun walk. The hike from Carneys Creek Rd was very straightforward and easy to navigate. I think that if I parked at Spring Creek Rd, I would rather choose to walk up Mt Supurbus and Roberts, a favourite walk for me, particularly the section from Supurbus to Roberts.
Thanks again, I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

john

I did Wilson’s Peak a couple of times last week. I did it with my family from the Head Rd side of the mountain, and again a couple of days later to find my son’s phone, which he lost, but we did not find.

It is a great hike, and extremely steep in parts, but fun none the less.

No trouble with the route, as you just follow the fence. There is one point about 2/3 of the way up, where you veer off the fence line, due to the steepness, and go left, and then climb up some rocks where some barbed wire is marked with tape, and then head back to the right towards the fence. The it isn’t too far to where the fence meets the rock face. Here you just follow the cliff line for about 80 meters until you come to a cleft in the rocks, with an arrow etched into it. This is the final climb. You scramble up the rocks, and then onto a still reasonable worn foot track, and you are at the summit. A little clearing just to the east of the summit gives o view out, but don’t get too close to the edge as it is a drop off.

HI Shane, I agree it is a great hike, better than I anticipated. Did you prefer the route from Carneys Creek or Spring Creek? I might try from the Carneys Creek side next time to compare them myself.
Thanks for your response.

I did the Spring Creek side. Haven’t done the Carney’s Creek side yet, but am planning on doing it next time.

1 Like