How to edit a Region

@AussieBushwalking that tool sure could come in handy (having it Automatically select). But I feel like it won’t be a smooth outcome. As using the drop pin might put the track in the wrong region (harder for us to find those wrong tracks).
In the mean time it would be nice to create a way of filtering tracks that aren’t in a sub region. This way mods can easily find those tracks in need of fixing.
As to what @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven mentioned with regards to people not putting the tracks in a sub region. I think this has got to do with the drop down list. When creating a track and you select “queensland” it automatically removes the drop down list and puts that as the region. It’s only when you select the plus sign does it expand. I can’t really think of a different method of fixing this as some states the NP isn’t created and your left with just putting it under the state.
What about a region called “_No Region Exists”. This way it’s easier for us to find tracks that the user couldn’t determine the region for. Maybe clicking this region, once submitting the track it Automatically opens up the region creator and say to the user “please create a region for the new track “xxx”.” Only issue with this is if we then start having duplicate regions because they didn’t know about the plus sign.
Hmmm. Something to think about.

@Maverick My initial goal is to just have a report with any walks that don’t match with the same region as the government data. It won’t be 100% accurate but it’ll be a good start. It won’t update them automatically though since the matching will never work perfectly - I’ll try to include a button to make updating easy.

I’ll also include in that report any walks which are only in a state region, even if I haven’t managed to match it to a better choice so that should help with the check you’re suggesting Paul (@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven).

I have a draft of the report working on my own machine but still a bit of work to get it into the site. I forgot that I don’t have all the tools from my day job to work on Aussie Bushwalking so it took a bit longer than I first thought :slight_smile:

@Maverick, @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven - I’ve added a report which shows walks which probably have the incorrect region. It’s not perfect but should make it easier to find walks that need updating. The report is only available to moderators.

https://www.aussiebushwalking.com/moderation/capadregionmismatches

I’ve put a description of it at the top of that page. The most important point is that I have to manually run the report so it won’t update immediately when you make changes. I have a few other improvements I want to make, but I think it’s at the point that it will be useful.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or if you’ve got any questions.

Seems like there’s a problem with the page - it’s working sometimes, but not others. I’ll update here when it’s working reliably.

OK. Appears to be working reliably now.

Woo, that looks like a lot of tidying up to do. Just got back from a road trip to Carnarvon Gorge and around, so have a few walks (27) to write up, but will have a look at the report every couple of days and correct a few at a time.

Richard hi. I have updated quite a few walks, but need to see if that has worked, so please update the report.
I think I know where there is an issue, but let’s see what cone out of the updated report. Thanks.

It should be updated now @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven.

Richard, one of the issues I have identified is that a few National Park Regions have sub-regions that then have walks in them, thus not identified as being in a particular NP and come up on your report.
I have cleared out the walks to their correct NP, but now need to get them deleted by you. So under the Brisbane Forest Park D’Aguilar National Park, we have Brisbane Forest Park Information Centre, Bellbird Grove, Maiala Picnic Area and Jollys Lookout to be deleted.
Under Mt Barney National Park we have Mt Barney Summit to delete.
And under Lamington National Park we have Binna Burra to delete.
I think these were the only three NP’s that had a problem, as I went though everyone of them this morning to check.
However, I did find a couple of Regions that needed to be deleted.
Under NSW, we have Mt Kosciusko to delete as we already have Kosciuszko National Park. Took a while to work that one out until I realised it had been misspelt!
Under Victoria we have Mount Feathertop to delete, as it is in Alpine National Park.
And in Tasmania we have Mt Roland face walk to delete, as the walk was posted correct into its region.
I have had problems with D’Aguilar NP in the past, as it comes up as a sub-region of Brisbane Forest Part D’Aguilar NP, which is confusing. Not sure of the answer, but maybe it should be a sub-region of South East QLD in its own right?

p.s., add D’Aguilar National Park Bush Camp to the first category that should be deleted. Thanks.

Done a fair amount of updating on this report including adding a number of new region National Parks. Please rerun report, as I am loosing track of what has now been corrected. Thanks Richard.

Been also quite busy these past few days; finally got a chance to look at the report. Its pretty handy as it is already. Would be nice if we could sort the walks as per region. But really not needed as CTRL+F works just as well to find walks that are in their state region that should be in a lower region.
Just wondering if there could be a way of confirming a track has been checked/completed and then it wouldn’t be shown on the report again. Was thinking if say a moderator confirms the location of a track, then the pin would be locked on the map thus when someone goes to edit a track they wouldn’t be able to adjust the map location and the report would not view locked tracks. Only issue is some locations might be hard to tell where the pin should be located, especially with out GPS info for newer tracks. When I say lock the section I mean in the edit track -->(Overview, Facts and Figures, Tags, Guide and Map). I suggest this as some of the names of regions are slightly different on here compared with CAPAD, and the list would always be huge if all the “no matches Found” were there too.
Definitely a handy tool Richard.

Thanks @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven I reran the report late last night. I haven’t had a chance to go over those regions yet but it’s on my list.

I will mention that I think there are cases where having sub-national park regions makes sense. In Lamington NP, Binna Burra and Green Mountains (O’Reilly’s) are very separate areas so I think it makes sense to have them as separate regions under Lamington. There will be some Lamington walks that don’t fit into either (things like the Border Track which links the two or walks like the Stinson track which aren’t near either but it is handy being able to see all the walks that leave from Binna Burra in one place.

I don’t know Brisbane Forest Park well enough to know whether the sub-regions make sense there. I think they’re much smaller so not really worth having them separated.

@Maverick Good idea. I’ll try to add some sorting or filtering in to the table.

Let me know if there are regions that match to CAPAD regions. I need to add them to a mapping table. They don’t have to have identical names but there’s no automatic mapping at the moment.

Morning Richard & Maverick. I took the report and downloaded it to Excel and although not that ‘friendly’, after an hours adjusting a few things, I had a data base that I could then sort by ‘region’. That is making a whole lot easier to research and do corrections, as I notate the item in Excel to indicate that I have looked at it.
Richard, I don’t understand your last comment about matching CAPAD regions and adding them to a mapping table? Are you saying that if we identify a National Park that does not come up as a CAPAD region, you can somehow add it? A case in point is Border Ranges National Park and there are several others.

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven
Any chance you could share the excel file/upload it to Google drive? This way it can be a live document for us to use/see. Might not be as many tools as excel but I think the live document would outway them.

Maverick, sharing the Excel file would be a great idea. It is about 10 years since I used ‘shared files’ so I am a bit rusty on this one. I have passed the file over to Google and added Richard to see if he can view it. If you ask him to share your e-mail with me, Richard can e-mail me your details.
I have to say, the file is not that friendly, although I have moved each state into its own page and asked Richard to add a 4th column to his report to help with this in the future.
Periodically, we will need to update the file with the latest version of Richard’s report and not sure how we deal with that one.

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven. e-mail: maverickjeske@gmail.com
If you want anything specific done in sheets. let me know. I’ll see if I can do it. I’m some what decent at excel so shouldn’t be to hard to figure it out on sheets. Most advance type options need add-ons for sheets. But I don’t think we’ll need anything to dramatic.
to share I believe you just: Open file online–>File–>Share–>Type my email.
We could also share the link here for others just to view (not editor).

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven @Maverick I’ve added the state to the report and also added a link so you can download the report as a csv file that can be opened by excel or Google Sheets. Hopefully that makes updating things a bit easier. There’s a link at the top of the report or just go to https://www.aussiebushwalking.com/moderation/capadregionmismatchescsv

I’m a little behind reading the rest but end of term means my scouting duties will reduce so I should be able to go through it all soon.

Thanks Richard. That has made the report a whole lot easier to work with. So far the revised report has not reduced the errors very much. I think that we need to wait for you to map and re-map the NPs we have identified in error before we rerun the report and see some real progress.