Introduce yourself!

Hi Jason, I have passed through Chinchilla many times when I was working, I wouldn’t have thought there are many interesting walks out that way, but I am probably wrong. I guess I like hills and cool weather more than heat and flat country. Send a messsge if you are ever in Brisbane and want to go for a walk.

You are right jgmansell, there are no interesting walks out this way so going for a walk normally includes a lot of driving to get there unfortunately. I normally do larger walks to make the travel worth it. I am doing Carnarvon Great walk soon if you interested?.

2 Likes

Hi warrior, I have just read a couple of blogs about the Carnarvon Great Walk and it does sound interesting, but I limit my walking to day hikes at present, partly because I have no overnight gear, and partly because I am not sure if I have the strength to carry all the gear necessary, Logans ridge was enough for this old fella [doing it again next Friday]. I have been to Carnarvon Gorge and Salvatore Rosa National Parks and they certainly are unique and a very beautiful part of the state.
Great to see a few more contributions to this site, and thanks for the invite. Please give us a rundown on the walk after you complete it and I may be tempted to have a go in the future.
john

1 Like

Hi Jen. Am orignally from the Bundy area so know Mt Perry and Woodgate well. Keen to see the walk reports. Did you follow the Bicentennial Trail?

1 Like

Hi all. I guess I have been hiking/bushwalking/tramping/trekking for around 50 years since Scout days.

Growing up around Bundaberg I spent plenty on time on Fraser Island in the early 1070s but later career moves and well-placed conferences led to more walking in the Blue Mountains, the Grampians, Tasmania, New Zealand and Canada and some time based in western Victoria gave me the opportunity to do plenty of climbing on Arapiles though, in all that time, I have done precious little in Queensland.

Fortunately the opportunity to retire early and do enough consulting to fund a travel budget came a couple of years ago and, with a couple of long time colleagues, I have managed two seasons of trekking and climbing in South America. Last year was a month in Peru and, after the usual tourist stuff, the 4 day Quilcayhuanca to Cojup Valley Trek, the 6 day Santa Cruz to Ulta Valley Trek followed by a couple of days climbing Nevado Pisco (5,752 m).

This year we spent a couple of weeks in Patagonia in Chile (Torres del Paine “W” walk) and Argentina (day walks out of El Chalten/FitzRoy) before heading back to Huaraz in the Cordillera Blanca to walk the 10 day Huayhuash circuit and the 10 day Alpamayo circuit before climbing Mateo then spending a week at Ishinca base camp climbing around Urus, Ishinca and Tocllaraju.

Planning on a third visit to Peru next year but, in the meantime, I need to keep up the walking here so I’ll be about a bit looking for track notes and advice on SE Qld walks and some a bit further afield.

3 Likes

Hi all! I’m Sage, newly based in Brisbane, formerly in Wollongong. Couple years bushwalking, but really keen to push into overnight hikes this year.

1 Like

Hi. I live in Caloundra and would like to find a club to join. New to the area and new to bushwalking although I was part of the Bankstown Bushwalking Club many moons ago. Are you the closest? I’m restricted to weekend walks only.

Gaylene hi.
I tend to bushwalk solo or with the family, but there are a number of bushwalking groups here on the Sunshine Coast.
One I have used is ‘meetup’ and then subscribe to walking and bushwalking.
There are a couple of facebook groups: ‘bushwalking & hiking in Brisbane & SEQ’ and also ‘take a hike - SE Qld’. These two don’t organise walks, but give you info on where people are meeting up.
The more ‘formal’ bushwalking groups can be googled up.

Hi All. Just joined ABW to learn about new walks and maybe meet up with walkers in my region, near Toowoomba, Qld (wife not such a keen walker).
I’m retired, reasonably fit mid 60s, walked 3 Capes and Overland Track (and Mt Ossa) last year. Looking to do day walks in region or SE Qld and maybe some overnighters when I get some gear.

2 Likes

Welcome Richard. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures. Already jealous of what you walked last year :slight_smile:

I am Craig and i am into urban exploring i know it’s abit different BUT i also like going out and capturing old rail trails and capturing “what was” i haven’t done a trail walk in awhile since i hurt my knee on a scramble up mt blaine last year. But an old mate of mine was telling me last year about a house half way up a walk/hike but can’t remember but would love to do it i am thinking maleny.

1 Like

Thanks for joining us Craig :slight_smile: Sorry, but I don’t know of the track near Maleny. Hope somebody can help you out on that. Hope that knee heals up and you can get back out on the track.

Hi - I am Yvonne, recently retired so heaps of time for walking yay! I have been hiking since my youth in Africa (the Drakensberg, Cedarberg etc). As an adult, I’ve hiked in Australia (lots) and NZ (Travers-Sabine Circuit a recent highlight) as well as a few overseas hiking treats (GR20, Chomolhari being two favourites).

We moved from Sydney to Coffs Harbour when we retired last year and are now in easier reach of SE Queensland as well as northern NSW, so I’m looking forward to doing some of the walks on this site such as Mt Barney. I’ve started adding some Mid North Coast walks, maybe I can tempt you Queenslanders to come south? Once the border opens again…

Yvonne

3 Likes

Welcome @CoffsTrails.com! Thanks for adding the North Coast walks! I’ve long wanted to try some walking down there but haven’t had much chance yet.

Hi, I’m Jenny - located at the foot of the Blue Mountains in NSW. Bushwalking had always been just a passing interest until I moved here with my partner & teenage sons. In January we took the plunge & did the Six Foot Track from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves over 3 days. And now we’re hooked - although some serious shopping has had to be done to lighten up our backpacks. The majority of our bushwalking is around the Blue Mountains area but two bucket list items of mine are the Hume & Hovell Track, and the Larapinta Trail.

3 Likes

Welcome to the site @Allboys6! When my family did a tour at Jenolan we happened to have somebody who’d just come off the Six Foot Track. Sounded amazing.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am new here, I just reached there and very excited to join it, I am looking foreword to great journey with Aussiebushwalking community. Thank you for all