What am I working on?

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven try turning all the options on the sidebar off them on again, particularly the day/overnight filter. Also, please let me know if it works. I think I know where I’ve broken it and if this works I’ll need to write a fix for other people with the same problem.

O.K., that worked and all the walks are now shown.
But, I no longer have a ‘tick’ on the walk icon to say that I have already done that walk. Is this correct?

Ahhh! No, definitely not correct. They should be there but they’re not. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll post here again once I’ve figured out what’s gone wrong.

p.s. my ‘profile’ has also disappeared from the ‘menu’ line, which just might have something to do with it?

Profile is back, must have logged out by accident!

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven The ticks should be back on the map now. I had them working sometime during the map upgrade and then later I disabled them completely for some reason and didn’t notice! Thanks for picking that up. Nobody else had mentioned it yet.

Hi Richard.
Looks like your update no longer has walks with no co-ordinates coming up at the top of the map page. I can see two recent ones (Moggill Conservation Park and Mt Woodroffe) via the www. link though.

Another spot is that new walks are not coming up on the map page. Two examples are Crystal Cascades and mine from today Julia Creek Nature Trail and there may be other recent ones. They do however come up on the map on the walk’s detail page.

Not sure if this hick-up is a result of the recent changes, but.
I tried to tidy up two walks that were the same. The correct one is Carlo Sandblow, but there was another called Carlo sandblow (small ‘s’) with just one tick dated 1984! I used the ‘merge walks’ as usual, but Carlo sandblow still appears on the map page. Please can you delete it. Thanks.

Sorry Richard, come across another quirk!
If you go into a walk’s map and double click to move its location, it works on the walk’s map but not on the ‘map page’. Example is Shamrock Mine to Castle Mountain Lookout, where I moved the icon to the start of the walk.
Not sure if it would have worked had I done an edit and changed the co-ordinates, as I wanted to leave the error showing. Might try this on another walk and see what happens.

Thanks Paul. Always appreciate the bug reports. There’s a couple of things going on. The new map doesn’t update immediately at the moment because the update has process has to run on a different server. I have the updates running every two hours at the moment.

However! I had disabled those updates when I first set up the map and forgot to reenable them so they weren’t running at all until you reported the issue here. It’s now running again on a 2 hour cycle. I have plans to get that shorter but updates are fairly rare so I wanted to get the map out first and then do the work. I’m hoping eventually to be able to run updates every minute or so. I should also add a message so people know there may be a delay when they edit.

I’ve just forced an update and the Shamrock Mine walk is on the map so good news is the updating process works (when I haven’t disabled it :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense Richard. Thanks for the correction. When ever I did work on your website, I knew there was a delay in some cases, so always rechecked everything the next morning.

Have sorted out Moggill Conservation Park by merging with Devils Break Loop and entered the co-ordinates for Mt Woodroffe, which I guess not many will climb, as it can only be done on a tour costing $1,000

I know you are away at the moment Richard; maybe Uluru? But, the ‘map page’ is still not updating, as I put up a new walk on Tuesday and it still does not show.

Hi Paul. No unfortunately not away, but will be at Cradle Mountain in a couple of weeks and can’t wait! :slight_smile:

So there’s still a problem with the map updater. I’ve run it manually now and I’ll try to do so regularly while I work out why it’s not working. I’ve also made a change which I think will fix it. Fingers crossed! It just did an automatic update at 7pm so I’ll try to keep an eye on it the next few days.

1 Like

Hi Richard,
Is it my settings or the site?
After your update a month or so ago when i open the tracking map page, i get 0 or very few walks tabs appear, whereas before i used to get the screen filled with them. As a newbie i was on a mission to complete everyone :slight_smile: now i can only search by names

Tony, had the same problem back in September. Solution was to turn all the options on the sidebar off them on again, particularly the day/overnight filter. Hope this works.

Hi @Tony . @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven is right on the money here. Just turn the options off and on again and you’ll get everything back. It was a bug during the migration to the new map. I’ll take another look at it because I thought I had deployed a fix for it.

Oh, and good luck getting through all of them! There are a lot of walks there now :slight_smile:

That did the trick thanks

Yeah i don’t think its possible to do them all, but all we can do is start knocking them off one by one.

I’ve just pushed another update to the map. Unfortunately no exciting new features - this is mainly a change in the underlying technology which should save me a lot of money. The map had been chewing up a lot of funds. I do think the base map looks a bit nicer though so hopefully you’ll appreciate that.

Let me know if you run into problems. As always, I’ve done my best to test it but as a one man band I simply can’t try all the permutations.

1 Like