What am I working on?

The new map looks better than the old one Richard, with more details as you zoom in. Thanks.

However (and this happened with the previous version, but I never got around to letting you know), as you zoom in close, the walk icon disappears as does the track (if one is loaded). This is on my laptop.

Thought that I would double check that the above loss of the icon and track happens on my phone version. Oh dear, it does not want to load the map at all!

:frowning: What type of phone do you have @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven?

Iā€™ve just checked and Iā€™m getting the same problem when I zoom in so Iā€™ll take a look at that.

The phone is a Samsung, but donā€™t worry about it at the moment, as I seem to have a ā€˜Samsung Pandemicā€™ around the house with all the TV apps crashing and I was having further issues with the phone last night.

Another observation, is that I put up a new walk ā€˜Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walkā€™ and all of a sudden the icon is no longer on the home page map. The track is, but not the icon. Could be I loaded/updated it just as you were putting up the new map format and we lost it?

Thanks Paul. Let me know whether the phone map comes around or not once the other issues are fixed. Iā€™m keen to make sure the map is working for everybody.

Iā€™ve just pushed out a fix so the walks donā€™t disappear when you zoom in.

The Franz Josef Glacier walk is still having trouble. Now that Iā€™ve fixed the zoom issue it eventually turns up when you zoom far enough in, however, it should be visible much further out. Iā€™ll have to work out why itā€™s choosing to hide it.

Fantastic work with all the New Zealand walks youā€™ve added! Iā€™ll have to grab some one of them for a Name This Walk soon.

Zoom now working a treat and the Samsung Phone was a separate issue and now sorted.

Just Franz Josef to fix. Maybe moving the location of the icon a fraction might reload it?

Still have another eight new walks to load from our NZ trip plus one to tick that already exists.

Richard, I think I have work out the problem with Franz Josef and many many others I have now tested.
It is a proximity problem! If two or more walk ā€˜labelsā€™ on the map overlaps one another, one will blank out the other(s). Then, when you zoom in and there is more space for the ā€˜labelā€™, the other walk(s) will pop up correctly.
Kings Canyon is a classic case. In fact one walk there pops up as you zoom in, only to disappear again until you zoom in further and it pops up again!

Thanks @F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven. I was working on a solution but switched over to concentrate on the promoting the 50km search function. Iā€™ll get back to it soon though Iā€™d also like to find a good way to lead people towards the official park alerts since so many walks are closed at the moment.

1 Like

@F_A_B_Ferguson_Adven Hi Paul, Iā€™ve updated the map so it now allows labels to overlap. This means that the walks all appear now, you just canā€™t read their labels sometimes. Iā€™d like to come up with a better solution - perhaps merging walks when theyā€™re close and you click on them to see all the walks in that group. At least for the moment weā€™re no longer losing walks off the map.

1 Like

Noticing a slight glitch Richard. If you go into the ā€˜walksā€™ map and then click on a walk, the base details come up in a box to the right of the screen. No problem.
Then you have the option to click through to the walk, again no problem.
But if you want to come back out to the ā€˜walksā€™ map by clicking the ā€˜left arrowā€™ at the top, nothing happens. Iā€™m sure it used to work. The only option at the moment is to click the ā€˜walksā€™ icon and reload the map.

Thanks Paul. Iā€™ll see what I can find. I did a quick test on a couple of devices and wasnā€™t able to reproduce it but Iā€™ll keep trying.

1 Like

Hi @AussieBushwalking. Just wondering how can we edit a track to have a different region?
I like the region areas already created, However Iā€™d like to make the regions a bit more specific then just state for some tracks. I would sort them out as per the following image. If I could create sub-regions within the 7 regions below I would then add the corresponding national park too them. I see there are sub regions with sub-sub regions so I know itā€™s possible.

@Maverick Iā€™ve been thinking for a while that there are enough QLD walks that having regions could be useful. I just checked and it turns out I had the ability to change a walkā€™s region limited to ā€œmoderatorsā€ without realising it. I guess early on I was worried about things being move around unnecessarily. I donā€™t have that concern so Iā€™ll get that fixed up so any user can change a walkā€™s region. Iā€™ll post back here once thatā€™s done (hopefully wonā€™t take long).

In the meantime Iā€™ve made you a moderator so you can get started. Youā€™ll notice a couple of other extra links around the place - just be aware that some of the moderator tools are only for moderators because I theyā€™re only partially working. Changing regions shouldnā€™t have any problems though. If you donā€™t get the option to change the region when you edit a walk now just try logging out and back in to pick up the moderator change.

Hi @AussieBushwalking I see a huge task ahead, Iā€™ll try my best to get them all done. I do now have moderator links, so I can change track regions :+1:.
However I canā€™t move the already created regions to sub regions. so if you could that would be great. To be sorted based on the map previously posted as follows:
Far North QLD
Barron Gorge National Park; Daintree National Park; Wooroonooran National Park
North Qld
Central QLD
Cania Gorge National Park; Carnarvon National Park;
Darling Downs:
Bunya Mountains; Crows Nest National Park; Girraween National Park; Ravensbourne National Park; Toowoomba
SE QLD:
Amamoor State Forest; Brisbane City Council Local Walks; Brisbane Forest park Dā€™Aguilar National Park {needs to be renamed:Dā€™Aguilar National Park} Coombabah Lakelands Conservation Area; Daisy Hill Conservation Park; Eumundi Conservation Park; Glass House Mountains; Glen Rock Regional Park; Ipswich; Ipswich - Flinders Goolman Conservation Estate Sub-Region; Jimna State Forest; Karawatha Forest; Kondalilla National Park; Lamington National Park; Main Range National Park; Mapleton National Park; Moogerah Peaks National Park; Moreton Bay Tamborine National Park; Sunshine Coast; Parklands Conservation Park; Mt Barney National Park
Wide bay Burnett:
Brooyar State Forest; Conondale National Park; Expedition National Park; Great Sandy National Park; Woondum National Park;
Mackay, Isaac and Whitsunday

Iā€™ve also noticed: in the ā€œWorldā€ Region there are sub-regions Zahra; Alice and the rock!; Southern Highlands. Iā€™d say these 3 should be deleted {I donā€™t want to push that button yet as a moderator}. No tracks in them.
Thinking it might be a good idea to split SE QLD into different regions too but not sure as to where the boundary would lay.
Happy Editing

Maverick, I did some work on this earlier in the year and created Far North QLD, North QLD, Central QLD and South East QLD, which might help you. I moved all the walks that were not in a sub-region (i.e. a NP etc) into these four regions using a rough latitude line. That didnā€™t actually take me that long to achieve.
As you said, the one thing not available at the moment is to move sub-regions into the seven regions suggested. Also currently ā€˜moderatorsā€™ canā€™t delete a region, probably as a safeguard, as it could be dangerous if there is a ā€˜walkā€™ within it, that might get deleted as well. I always as Richard to delete them.
Going forward, there is then a maintenance issue, as new bushwalk posters are notorious for not allocating walks to the correct region or sub-region, let alone providing the map co-ordinates! I try and keep an eye on new walks loaded, but not sure how to keep the dynamic accurate going forward?
O.K. that is QLD sorted, what about the rest? I did some work on Tasmania and more recently New Zealand, but I wouldnā€™t call it fully comprehensive.

Well I started as of yesterday, trying to get them more in line with a council region more so then a latitude line. I did notice some saying north QLD. But Iā€™ve only changed them based on the point location.
Also noticed NZ, maybe it could be sub regioned North Island/south island? Havenā€™t really looked too much into other state regions. Might start a different forum tonight weā€™re different maps of regions can be stored for future reference.
Would be good if the point location decided the region it was located in, but that does seem like a lot of effort instead of just getting moderators to quickly look at the point location

1 Like

I split NZ into North and South region, but given there are so few walks, canā€™t see a good reason to introduce sub-regions.
South Australia should be easy; it only has six walks. And WA has only 10.

Iā€™m loving the work here. I checked and moving subregions seems to be restricted to admins (aka me) at the moment so Iā€™ll fix that up at the same time as I fix the walks. Shouldnā€™t take me too long.

Iā€™ve been wanting to also write a little tool that will use state and national park boundaries to detect walks that arenā€™t in their correct region. That should help with these changes so Iā€™ll pop that up the priority list.

1 Like

I had been thinking along those lines last night, of some how indication the boundaries of the regions/sub-regions on the ā€˜map pageā€™, but reckoned it was probably a huge job for you to achieve. You have probably run out of colours to use! Users will not know the boundaries of the new seven sub-regions including myself.
This would definitely help when loading a new walk (and maintenance), as long as users look at the ā€˜map pageā€™ first before adding a walk.
I have to say, that they donā€™t do a good job of this at the moment. If you look at the last two walks loaded (Piccabeenā€™ and ā€˜Pagesā€™), they were both put in ā€˜Queenslandā€™, but not in the sub-region of Conondale NP and Springbrook NP! (I will correct this later). This leads back to the discipline and maintenance issue I mentioned before. There are currently no ā€˜searchā€™ options to identify them and you canā€™t keep going through 750+ QLD walks to make sure they are in the correct sub-region.
As a side note. The ā€˜Walk on waterā€™ walk I mentioned the other day turned out to be a duplicate of an existing walk so I ā€˜mergedā€™ it in order to get rid of it. Incidentally the ā€˜mergeā€™ option does not seem to be working very well at the moment. It is very slow and does not pick up the walk you want to merge into correctly. I will write this issue up separately.

So shall I hold off checking/chaning the regions based off the map I had. I figured since it was based off council zones it may be a bit easier to indicate where it belongs if itā€™s not part of a national park.
Also Iā€™ve added the council zones in each regions description, I know that wont help the people creating new walks, but might create some clarity if people are moving walks into the region/checking them.

Another Question. How many walks in a national park till you feel itā€™s worth creating a region for that national park? Or should all national parks be a region? If thatā€™s the case, While I check tracks I can go about creating new regions for each too. Or would the thing you ( @AussieBushwalking) talking about highlighting the parks would this create regions that donā€™t exist?